Monday, April 4, 2011

A DISHEARTENING CONVERSATION YESTERDAY...

I was introduced to two new choir members yesterday and pleased to make their acquaintance.  When rehearsal was finished, and as the choir began filing to the back of the church for the opening procession, three members approached me:  the two new ones and one who's been there longer than I have.

The first new member (I'll call her Jane) was excited to tell me that she knows Scott (my life partner) from his work with a local arts organization (the Board of which she'd served in the past).  I told her that, yes, Scott was my "roommate," a wonderful guy and my very close friend for the past ten years.

The second new member (I'll call him George) asked about which town I live in and how long I've been here and where I work.  

The third, regular, choir member (I'll call her Ellen) became greatly concerned when I shared with George that I've been only semi-employed for the past ten months.  She asked how I was making ends meet, spending my time, etc., and I told her about my literary project.  She became greatly excited and asked about the plot.  George was still there and listening as I said:  "It's about two families who summer on a ficticious Island off the coast of Massachusetts, and how their teenaged sons fall in love with each other."

George let out a "Pfff!" and rolled his eyes.  I put a hand on his shoulder and said, "Yes, I understand that the subject is not for everyone, but I began writing this in response to the spate of gay teen suicides in the news last year.  I have a voice and I hope my message will convince a tortured teenager that being gay is better than being dead."  He walked away without another word, while Ellen comforted me and said that she can't wait to read it.

When...where...how did your precious Jesus counsel you to torture teenagers to suicide by your bias and fear, Mr. Christian?  When did Christ ever say that you had a right to choose judgment over love with regard to your neighbor...in the PEW right next to you?  

I and my people may not look like you, think like you, or love the people that you think we should, but we still believe that you have a right to a life free of fear and derision.  Who's truly living the Christian ethic? 

No comments:

Post a Comment